December 29, 2016
Animal Caregiver I
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s largest animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Animal Caregiver I for our Fund for Animals Wildlife Center in Ramona CA. This position is responsible for the daily husbandry of animals as it relates to the animal’s physiological and psychological well-being, and for the maintenance of habitats and animal care structures.
This position will be responsible for:
- Cleaning interior and exterior enclosures and maintaining cleanliness of habitats;
- Preparing food/diets and ensuring animals have feed and water;
- Monitoring animals for any medical and behavioral problems;
- Assisting with humane capture and handling of animals and assisting in routine medical procedures;
- Stocking supplies;
- Repairing and renovating existing animal enclosures and facilities and assisting in the construction of new habitats;
- Performing landscaping/grounds keeping duties;
- Cleaning kitchen, common areas, storage areas, enclosures, and cages;
- Washing and storing laundry;
- Assisting in the design or updating of protocols and standard operating procedures for the treatment and care of animals;
- Completing daily logs/charts and entering into database system(s);
- Interacting with the public on the phone and in person during animal intakes, donation drop-offs, tours, and fundraisers;
- Working with volunteers and interns on a daily basis in a professional and courteous manner.
- High School diploma or equivalent required, some college preferred;
- One year experience in wildlife rehabilitation required;
- Experience in rehabilitation techniques, animal husbandry, and veterinary treatments desired;
- Must remain current in CPR and first-aid certification;
- A valid driver’s license with 3 years clean driving record required;
- Must complete continuing education credit as required by the State of California Department of Fish and Wildlife for wildlife rehabilitation;
- Experience in operant conditioning is desirable;
- Ability to read and calculate basic math including medical formulation using patient weights and dosage charts;
- Ability to move/lift 50 pounds;
- Good communication and excellent interpersonal skills;
- Must have or obtain and maintain an up-to-date rabies prophylaxis and titer;
- Proficiency on a computer;
- Good attention to detail and the ability to work in a fast paced environment;
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Ramona, CA.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»