January 5, 2017
Executive Assistant to the President and Chief Executive Officer
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation's largest animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Executive Assistant for the Executive Office. The primary purpose of this position is to effectively and efficiently run the executive office by performing administrative duties for the executive staff and acting as the liaison with the Board of Directors.
This position will be responsible for:
- Managing a complex and fluid schedule of appointments and meetings for the President and CEO; planning and coordinating travel, anticipating and communicating changes to the schedule;
- Greeting and attending to guests for the Executive office; screening calls, mail, invitations, correspondence and responding independently when possible and assessing incoming inquiries for direct reply or for routing to appropriate contact;
- Performing complex and confidential administrative functions including drafting correspondence, memos, presentations, and other types of documents; will also be responsible for compiling and processing expense reports, reimbursements and check requests;
- Maintaining files and records for confidentiality, reference and quick retrieval;
- Working on selected projects with other members of the Executive office or as assigned by the President and CEO;
- Ensuring that the executive staff is provided with briefing materials such as telephone numbers, locations and contact information for events by coordinating with appropriate participants or staff;
- Collecting lobbying information ensuring accuracy and timeliness of information gathered;
- Assisting in the development and administration of the budget and managing expenditures;
- Providing backup administrative support to the Chief Operating Officer and the Chief of Staff as needed, and interfacing with Board members to arrange meetings, conference calls, disseminating information, preparing agendas, minutes, etc.;
- Maintaining a solid understanding of the HSUS mission, programs, and organizational structure;
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Minimum of 3 or more year’s of experience at the executive assistant level, along with scheduling experience;
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing with ability to communicate with staff at all levels;
- Candidates must demonstrate exceptional professionalism, diplomacy, confidentiality, along with demonstrated ability to build rapport easily;
- Must have ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously and be able to shift priorities quickly;
- Must be able to anticipate needs of the executive office and work independently with minimal supervision;
- Strong record-management skills and document production skills with ability to meet deadlines and maintain confidentiality;
- Proficiency with MS Office.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Gaithersburg, MD and will involve travel to Washington, DC as needed.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»