February 15, 2017
Senior Federal Legislative Specialist
The Humane Society Legislative Fund, (HSLF) formed in 2004 as a separate lobbying affiliate of The Humane Society of the United States is seeking a Senior Federal Legislative Specialist. The main responsibility of this position is to promote the legislative goals of the HSLF to Congressional offices and committees and to execute specific legislative strategy on multiple issues including wildlife and marine mammal issues.
This position will be responsible for:
- Working with congressional offices, legislative counsel, program departments and Animal Protection Litigation (APL) to draft legislation that strengthens legal protections for animals and public policies that support animal welfare;
- Analyzing proposed and pending legislation to determine whether it is favorable to the mission and objectives of the HSLF;
- Promoting HSLF’s legislative goals to Congressional offices and committees;
- Planning, coordinating, and implementing specific legislative strategies that coincide with the political orientations of members of Congress;
- Ensuring a current understanding of congressional activity through a variety of means including professional periodicals and Congressional records, documents, and publications;
- Replying to constituent and Congressional inquiries regarding pending legislation;
- Determining and developing coalitions with a variety of political organizations and associations and representing the legislative agenda and strategy of the HSLF within these coalitions;
- Acting as liaison with state, program and regulatory affairs staff on legislative campaigns;
- Drafting action alerts, fact sheets and other outreach materials for distribution to the activist network as well as drafting materials for outreach to Congressional offices;
- Contributing to testimony for Congressional hearings;
- Assist in planning Hill events, including Legislator Awards, Briefings, and TAFA Lobby Day.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum five or more years of lobbying/government relations experience;
- Strong knowledge of federal legislative process, appropriations process or committee work;
- The ability to build/foster relationships by reinforcing trust and respect, and demonstrating high standards of tact, diplomacy and discretion;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office preferred;
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with demonstrated flexibility and the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Preference for background in wildlife protection issues.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in Washington, DC.
The Humane Society of the United States is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»