June 17, 2015
About Us: Overview
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization. We and our affiliates provide hands-on care and services to more than 100,000 animals each year, and we professionalize the field through education and training for local organizations. We are the leading animal advocacy organization, seeking a humane world for people and animals alike. We are driving transformational change in the U.S. and around the world by combating large-scale cruelties such as puppy mills, animal fighting, factory farming, seal slaughter, horse cruelty, captive hunts and the wildlife trade.
Our mission statement: Celebrating Animals, Confronting Cruelty.
The Humane Society of the United States and our affiliates provide direct care to more than 100,000 animals each year—more than any other animal welfare organization—through our sanctuaries, veterinary programs and emergency shelters and rescues. We work to professionalize the field of animal care with our education and training programs.
We confront the largest national and international problems facing animals, which local shelters don’t have the reach or the resources to take on, such as animal fighting, puppy mills, horse slaughter and soring, seal killing and other forms of commercial slaughter of marine mammals, captive hunting and the wildlife trade, and inhumane slaughter and factory farming.
While we come to the aid of animals in crisis, we also attack the root causes of problems. Our most important goal is to prevent animals from getting into situations of distress in the first place. We drive transformational change for animals—bringing a wide set of tools to take on the biggest fights, confronting multibillion dollar industries and staying the course until we achieve reform.
We work to:
- Provide direct care, rescue, and services for animals in crisis
- Pass local, state and federal laws to protect animals
- Make sure existing laws are properly enforced
- Help the biggest corporations reform their animal welfare policies
- Shape public opinion on animal cruelty through our awareness campaigns and investigations
- The world’s greatest roster of scientists and other experts in animal welfare
- State directors across the country working at the local level
- Five affiliated animal sanctuaries and medical centers
- Programs that provide veterinary care and other animal services to inner cities, and a veterinary affiliate that provides these services to Native American reservations
- Wildlife sanctuaries in more than 35 states
- A global affiliate, Humane Society International, which runs programs in more than 20 countries
We take a mainstream approach and combat the most severe forms of cruelty and abuse. Leaders in the humane movement ranked us the most effective animal organization in the country in a survey conducted by Guidestar’s Philanthropedia. We are approved by the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance for all 20 standards for charity accountability and were named by Worth Magazine as one of the 10 most fiscally responsible charities.